Friday, December 21, 2012

X–Rebirth: Expected To Be Overdue



The long awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed X series of space simulator games has been set back until 2013. X-Rebirth was initially expected to be released at the end of this year but the developers have decided to delay launch saying

“...it turns out that you don't simply reinvent space games overnight! ;)”

Maybe I'm strange, but I always get a little spark of happiness, to accompany whatever disappointment I feel, whenever I hear that a release date has been set back. Unless its “for the foreseeable future” or “for an indeterminate amount of time”, there is a little flare of excitement there, because, it says to me that, the developers don't want to rush out an incomplete product, as has become such common practice lately.

It would seem that the the folks over at Egosoft have been taking great time and care with their project which has been in the works for over 5 years. And while not all of it has been voluntary, it has all been necessary, to keep the project on the table at all.



Player involvement has been such a focus for the developers that they even have a poll on their Facebook page in which fans vote on which model they would like to see used, in game, for the "Plasma Pumps Production Unit".

This is just one example of how Egosoft have used player feedback to inform their decision making. The forums are constantly alive with discussions about new developments and directions that the fans want the game to go in. And it would seem that there is always a keen ear willing to listen whenever anyone has an intriguing new idea.

To my recollection I don't think I've seen collaboration on this level between players and developers. And while I'm sure its partly to blame for the long development time, I think it is to be commended and I hope that in the future the process can be streamlined.

All in all I'm very much looking forward to see what they end up with as a final product. I'm just glad that with all their setbacks and issues they still haven't been tempted to release an incomplete product. It would have been a huge let down if all this time spent and effort invested had been for a shoddy product. And while I'm sure expectations are ridiculously high, i'm equally sure that the folks over at Egosoft are going to do their best to reach them.


*played every X game, has never finished a story mode*


Sources: Egosoft Email

No comments:

Post a Comment